We Work Hard To Achieve Your Goals

Do You Need To Revise A Custody Or Support Order?

At some point after a child custody, child support or spousal support order decree has been entered by the court, your circumstances may change. You will need to return to court to modify the original order. These can be hotly contested issues.

At BrunemanLaw PC, we help clients who are seeking to modify or enforce a court order. Our attorney, Steven W. Bruneman, will analyze your situation and give you a candid opinion on whether the court is likely to grant your modification request. We can also advocate for you if you are opposed to the modification. We will aggressively advocate for your rights to ensure fairness and accountability in the legal process. You can turn to us for all family law matters.

Modification Of Child Custody Or Child Support

In order to modify a court order for child support, child custody or spousal support, you or your ex-spouse must have experienced a material and significant change in circumstances. Some examples of what a court may find to be material and significant include:

Relocation: If the parent with primary possession (primary custody) desires to move with the children to a different city or state for a compelling reason, they must get the court’s permission by modifying the custody order in advance of relocating.

Job loss: If you have been ordered to pay child support or alimony and you later lose your job or experience a substantial salary reduction, you can ask the court to reduce your child support or alimony obligation to reflect this change in income. Likewise, child support can be increased if the paying parent gets a promotion or significant pay increase.

Remarriage: If you or your ex-spouse remarries, this factor alone can constitute a material and significant change in circumstances allowing you to have grounds to attempt a modification of the order.

Enforcement Of Child Support Or Custody Orders

If your ex-spouse is not complying with a court order to pay support or is not obeying a possession schedule, you can ask the court to enforce the order by holding your former spouse in contempt of court. Penalties associated with contempt orders may include fines and jail time. Our experienced lawyer will work with you to ensure that the court compels your former spouse to comply with court orders and levies appropriate penalties to discourage such behavior in the future.

Let’s Discuss Your Legal Remedies

Schedule an appointment with our board-certified family law attorney about modification or enforcement of court orders. Experienced representation can make all the difference when you go to court. Call 469-998-3194 to arrange an initial consultation or use our email contact form. Our Dallas law firm serves Dallas, Collin and Tarrant counties.